Upgrading to a Maxwell 1000 windlas

1 post / 0 new
Alain Croteau's picture
Alain Croteau
Upgrading to a Maxwell 1000 windlas

Greetings everyone.   I recently upgraded to the Maxwell 1000 windlas on our '93 C36.  The removal of the old windlas and installation of the new windlas went well.  I removed the pawl and the chain stripper as I found both to be useless.  However,  I found that a chain guide underneath the windlas was necessary.  I suspect a chain guide might be necessary even on C36 models of other years as it appears that the windlas, in a horizontal installation results in an insufficient number of 'cogs' of the gypsy are grabbing chain links in both the up and down modes causing the chain to jump out of the gypsy.  On our first outing with the new windlas, I quickly found that to keep the chain in the gypsy I had to have one foot (wearing shoes of course) on the gypsy as anchor and chain were let out and then to raise the anchor the method that worked best for me was to lead the chain under and up the gypsy and 'hand over hand' the chain into the locker while stepping on the down button. Not ideal.  The solution for my purposes, as can be seen in the photo below, was to take an old bow roller I had, cut it to length and bolt it underneath the gypsy.  The bale is also necessary to lead the chain into and out of the chain guide otherwise the chain will jump out of the roller.  This works very well however while raising the anchor, I still have to knock the chain into the centre of the locker when it piles up underneath the chain guide.  Chain guides and small bow rollers, that I'm sure will serve the same purpose, are available on the market.  Hope this can be of helpful. Cheers

Alain Croteau
"Veritas"
C36 #1226 SR/wk
Yanmar 3JH2
Kingston, Ontario

Attachments: 
AttachmentSize
Image icon maxwell6.jpg353.97 KB