st 4000 autohelm

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)
st 4000 autohelm

On my '94 C36 I have the original st 4000 auto pilot (black ring on wheel) which works fine. In the last 2 years I have been shearing the little rolled pin that attaches the lever that engages and disengages the the auto pilot. We have disassembled the unit and adjusted the belt tension to the loosest position. However, it seems that there is a little too much pressure is needed on the lever to engage or disengage the auto. My thinking is that the belt has lost some elasticity over the years and should be replaced. The technician at Raymarine indicates that the belt is not the problem, but has no real answer. In the meantime I have replaced the rolled pin with a solid brad (nail) which is working. I would appreciate anyone's comments on this. Thanks.

Richard
C36 #1347

TomSoko's picture
TomSoko

Richard,
The belt inside the 4000 is similar to the tires on your car in that it is reinforced with steel belts. They are actually small threads/strings of twisted steel wire. I doubt very much it would stretch or shrink very much. It might take a "set" if left in one position for a long period of time, though. I had the same problem a number of years ago, and I was able to get a Raymarine technician to admit that the roll pin that connects the clutch lever with the clutch shaft was a poor design. It was/is undersized. With a new roll pin, and the clutch adjusted to its most slack position, I haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

Tom Sokoloski
C36/375IA Past Commodore
Noank, CT

windward (not verified)

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Right now the tension is in the loosest position with a small nail holding the lever in position. It works fine but does require a little more force than other similiar (newer) boats I have tried. I am a little afraid of damaging something else in the unit. In the meantime I will try to find a new rolled pin and see if it holds together. I may also try a new belt just to see if it makes a difference.

Richard

windward (not verified)

Tom,

I ordered a new belt from Polytech Design Inc for about $20.00 just to give it a try, but you were correct. It did not correct the problem. With the pressure I have to use to engage/disengage the auto, I am afraid of breaking the internal pins that operate the cam. Raymarine tells me that I could buy the upgrade (gray assembly) which includes a new motor and that it can be used with the old St4000 head. I don't know the cost. Any other thoughts?

Richard

windward (not verified)

St4000 autohelm problem solved. I gave up on the black wheel unit and ordered the MarkII gray wheel kit from Hodges Marine - [url]www.hodgesmarine.com[/url] . There were several dealers that still have this part. They had the Raymarine kit with all parts and a manual included. The installation was not that difficult and the old connector plugged right into the new motor and it is compatable with the old head instrument. This is a must stronger unit and should last a long time. This if a FYI for anyone with similar problems.

Richard
C36 # 1347