2005 C36 MkII Questions

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
R.K.OUELLETTE
2005 C36 MkII Questions

My 2005 MkII, (new To Me), Wondering What Exactly The Intended Purpose Of The Shelf Over The Galley Sink With The Acrylic Pegs Was Intended For And How Many Pegs You Are Supposed To Have. Several Of The Holes Were Empty And Nothing Seems To Fit Between The Pegs.

Second Question, Has Anyone Found A Replacement Microwave The One On My Boat Has A Bad Keypad And Won't Work. I Understand The Repair Isn't The Practical Solution.

Third, Propane Gage Was At 60lbs. Baked A Potato Tank Was Empty When Finished. Filled Tank, Hooked It Up And The Gage Was Only At 60 Lbs Or Slightly Less. ??? Thanks Bob

Allan R's picture
Allan R

We use the shelf over the sink for storing dinnerware, the pegs are used as the separator. Not sure as to how many as I am not at the boat. As far as the gas cylinder, you may want to check for a leak as it should not go down that quickly.

Allan Rex
# 2216

plaineolde's picture
plaineolde

My experience with the propane tank is that you really can't use the pressure gauge to determine how full it is as it only indicates how much gas pressure there is, not how much liquid propane remains. The pressure will read around 60lbs when it's full, and 60 lbs at the moment the liquid runs out. It will then go down to zero pretty rapidly if you're using it. Using the oven long enough to bake a potato could easily run that pressure down to zero in no time. I picked up an adaptor for a propane bottle, which I keep in the propane locker on top of the main tank. If the main tank runs out (always while cooking dinner) I can quickly hook up the propane bottle. I use the bottles for the BBQ anyway, so always have 2 in the propane locker.

My boat was delivered with about a dozen of the plastic pegs for the shelf. I keep bowls and a rather large tea kettle up there; you can arrange the pegs how ever you want, but they take some muscle to insert.

Gary and Cathy Price
1997 C36 Mk II Tall Rig/Wing Keel Imagine...
Hull # 1617
Worton Creek, Md.
Northern Chesapeake Bay

jworth3's picture
jworth3

Could you share details of the adapter, please, and where it hooks into the system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Joe & Patti Worth
"Tehani"
1999 C36 MKII #1810
Atlantic Highlands, NJ

R.K.OUELLETTE

Thanks for your responses, helpful in becoming more familiar with my boat.
Has anyone had any luck in dealing with nuisance leaks with the lewmar opening ports. The new plastic latches don't seem to have any adjustment mechanism. I have used silicone at the frame joint but it didn't even slow down the water intrusion, gasket seems to be in serviceable condition. Bob:

clennox's picture
clennox

Gary is correct the Propane gauge is useless for volume. Propane will show the same pressure until all liquid is gone. The only good way is to weigh the tank. I pick my tank up and shake it. You can feel the liquid.
I think I'm going to use a fish scale and get a empty tank weight, then fill it and reweigh the tank.
The gage is good to check for leaks. I believe if you close the valve and shut off your propane sw the gauge should not change (assuming) you have no leaks.

Chuck Lennox
97 MKii Ventura Ca
Island Girl Hull #1611

stu jackson c34's picture
stu jackson c34

If you shake the container a little bit, you can feel the level, the top will be room temperature, the ottom will be colder. Very often a line of condensation can form, making it even easier.

Stu Jackson, C34IA Secretary, C34 #224, 1986, SR/FK, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#)

plaineolde's picture
plaineolde

[QUOTE=jworth3;22073]Could you share details of the adapter, please, and where it hooks into the system.[/QUOTE]

It's a small brass fitting, maybe 2" long, 1 1/4" round. You remove the boat's gas hose from the tank, screw the adaptor onto the hose, then screw a propane bottle onto the other end of the adaptor. West Marine has 'em.

[url]http://www.westmarine.com/lpg-hose-fittings/trident-rubber--bottled-prop...

Gary and Cathy Price
Hull # 1617
Worton Creek, Md.
Northern Chesapeake Bay

jworth3's picture
jworth3

Perfect! A great idea.

Frankly, with this our first propane boat, I blissfully and ignorantly believed that a tank with good pressure wasn't close to empty.

Thank yo so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Joe & Patti Worth
"Tehani"
1999 C36 MKII #1810
Atlantic Highlands, NJ

pkeyser's picture
pkeyser

I have a 2007 C36 with 2 leaking Lewmar ports. I worked with Catalina Direct to find replacement gaskets- sending them many pictures and dimensions- but they ultimately could not find a replacement. (They were bend over backward helpful though) As it turns out, a variety of Lewmar ports were utilized by Catalina so finding the exact replacement gasket is a task. For a temporary fix, I pulled the old gaskets out and replaced with them rectangular 1/4" x 3/8" closed cell foam door gasket from Ace Hardware. Can't open the ports, but no leaks for all last summer. (It helps to push the gasket between the port and frame with the port closed from the outside of the cabin. The end splice should be located on the top of the port.)The original owner sent some exact replacement gaskets. I tried to clean the old seal grove (The gasket has a fin that inserts in a retaining groove) but could not get it clean enough to insert the new gasket. I will try again in the next few weeks. When i'm on board this weekend, I will note who supplied the gasket and post it in the event you have the same ports.

Paul & Wendy Keyser
"First Light"
Rye NH
2005 C36 MKII #2257
Wing, M35B

plaineolde's picture
plaineolde

You might want to try Hatchmasters. I believe they are the Lewmar vendor for parts. I dealt with them and their sister company, Select Plastics, when replacing my crazed hatch lenses. [url]http://www.hatchmasters.com[/url]

Gary and Cathy Price
Hull # 1617
Worton Creek, Md.
Northern Chesapeake Bay

R.K.OUELLETTE

I Found The Adapter On Amazon.com It Is Made By Camp Chef. You Can Google Camp Chef Disposable Bottle Adapter, It Come Us For $13.99 Much Less Than West Marine's Version. :)

plaineolde's picture
plaineolde

Yes, but yours isn't a marine version.....:p

Gary and Cathy Price
Hull # 1617
Worton Creek, Md.
Northern Chesapeake Bay

iamav56

Good Find, Brass is Brass. Marine grade my !?!

Mark Kozy
"COLDWATER"
1999 C36 MK2 #1742 FK/M35B
Vallejo Yacht Club-Oldest on the West Coast
Boat lives in Marina del Rey, CA (SOCAL)
I live in Placerville, CA (NORCAL)

chic

My guess is the leak is not the gasket, but either coming in behind frame or through gap in frame on outside of port. Mine 1995 leaked like sieve so cut the rubber out of the frame after re bedding ports and replaced bedding with clear silicone sealer. Bingo! No more leaks!