1988 C36 Owners manual?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
ervbo
1988 C36 Owners manual?

Hello, I am new here, and pretty new to Sailing, in general. I just bought a 1988 36' Catalina (I believe Mk I, not easy to tell from the specs except it has the smaller engine). I need to learn more about my boat :/ I would love to get ahold of an original owners manual if at all possible. If not, is there like a Chilton's version for sailboats? :) I subscribed to the 3-yr C36IA to get the Tech notes CD, as I think that might help. I looked on the website at the Cat 36 encylopedia, but that didnt seem to have as much info as I will need. I am in Bair Island, Redowood City. I need to buy Dodger fabric (I have the frame). But, I maybe Catalina has some standard sizes since a its a popular boat

Erv Thomas
C36 Mark I #824 Hull #: CTYR0824K288
Rookie in Redwood City

nelson

Ervbo,

If you will go to the home page of this site, then click on the "Technical" tab at the top, and then on "manuals," you will find links to the original Catalina manual for your Mark I boat, as well as manuals for the Universal engines that power most of our boats of that era. This is the place to start. The manual has decent diagrams of the plumbing and wiring systems. The engine manuals are quite good. With that base of knowledge, the Tech Notes CD and the information of the forums (which can be searched) will answer most common questions.

Good luck with the new boat!

--Nelson Lee

Nelson Lee, "Stella," 2002 C36, hull 2069, Universal M35BC, berthed Sausalito, CA

TomSoko's picture
TomSoko

Ervbo,
Welcome to C36/375IA!! I think you will find this website, the Tech Notes CD, Mainsheet Magazine, and fellow C36 owners to be a HUGE wealth of info. Owning an '88 means that you do have a MkI (MkIIs started in 1994), and it also means that you have a 23hp Universal M25XP. As Nelson mentioned, the MkI owner's manual has recently been posted on the website, and just about every other manual for your boat and equipment is on the Tech Notes CD.
As far as the dodger goes, I think most people will suggest you contact a local canvas store to have one built. They can use the existing frame if you wish, or replace the frame if it is not perfect for your needs. I suggest that you do some searches both on this site and the C34 site (very similar boat). You will get a bunch of suggestions of things to consider before your make your purchase. Height, shape, windows, grab rails, leather, and future connectivity are just some of the things you will want to think about. By reading other posts, you can get a feel for others preferences, and then formulate your own. Hope this helps.

PS-It would help others quite a bit if you were to edit your signature to include info about you and your boat. Click on User CP above to do so.

Tom Sokoloski
C36/375IA Past Commodore
Noank, CT

Steve Frost's picture
Steve Frost

Ervbo,

Welcome aboard, I too have an Rocket Eighty Eight, as everyone here is aware the eighty eight boats are the fastest and best finished.

When you edit your signature please include your hull serial number if you can. You should find this imprinted in the hull just below the deck on the transome. It is usually the number on the main sail as well if no one put a main on from another boat and did not change it. You will have a hull number around in the 800 range. Mine is hull 825 and was an early 88, as I recall 88 was about the peak of production for the C36, I can not remember for sure if it was 87, 88 or 89. That info is on this site as is much much more.

The owners manual too is here, it has some very good basic info and tells you you have purchased the finest boat known to man and to only wash in mild soap and water. It will give basic demensions and systems discriptions but, do not look for too much info there and understand that your boat is over twenty years old and many areas and systems may have been modified. This is where our organization shines in that you can post something here and almost always get a quick response by someone that has the same installation aboard there boats. As the MKI technical editor I often get questions regarding specifics of our boats, if my boat is configured the same or I can find it on our site or in our manuals I will be glad to help. In most cases I must plead that you ask for your answer on our forums site.

Again welcom aboard, enjoy.

Cepheus dream
C36 MK I # 825
MK I Tech Editor No Mas

ervbo

Nelson, Tom and Steve. Thanks! This is great information (and encouragement)! One of the reasons I bought the boat is one of my friends told me sailing was one of the true communities that still exist. I have found that to be an understatement in my short 4 months. The sail up from San Diego to Redwood City was the highlight of my life! Looking forward to growing into this great sport and lifestyle

Erv Thomas
C36 Mark I #824 Hull #: CTYR0824K288
Rookie in Redwood City

ProfDruhot's picture
ProfDruhot

Welcome to C36/375IA Irv. Yes, you will find this forum to be one of the best in the sailing communities. Everyone is helpful and don't be afraid to ask what seems to be a "stupid question" becasue there really aren't any. Red skys at night to you.

Glenn Druhot
Carpe Diem
New Bern, NC
35* 6' 10" N / 77* 2' 30" W
2001 C36, Hull #1965
Std Rig; Wing Keel; M35B

deising's picture
deising

Welcome. Erv! The sailing community truly is a special one and I hope you get as much out of it as we have. We only got our first boat (our current C36) in 2004 when I was 47 and it is amazing how much we have learned and been able to do and share since then.

Duane Ising - Past Commodore (2011-2012)
s/v Diva Di
1999 Catalina 36 Hull #1777
Std rig; wing keel, M35B, Delta (45#)
Punta Gorda, FL
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/diva-di/

hwy1cat36's picture
hwy1cat36

I too am looking for a owners manual, but for a 99 36 MKii.  And I could not find the manuals section under Technical.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gary Johnson
1999 Cat 36 mkii, M35C
​Hull # 1755, Fin Keel
Homeport: Long Beach, California

Channel Islander's picture
Channel Islander

The manuals are available to Association Members at https://www.catalina36.org/members/technical/manuals/c36-manuals .

Nick Tonkin
*Former* Website Administrator, C36/375IA
*Former* owner, C36 tr/fk #255, Santa Barbara, CA

William Miller

On the mark 1 the manual gives 56.5 for the tall rig top of mast to water line. I went up the mast and counting the antenna it is 53 feet to water line. The mk2 gives 52.5 which seems right

Bill Miller
S/V Lorraine
Pacific Northwest,Sound Sound
Grapeview,Wa
1990 Mk1