Xantrex 1800 Inverter

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark Gadson's picture
Mark Gadson
Xantrex 1800 Inverter

Like many of you, my Catalina 36, MKii (1995 - Hull #1458) has an inverter.  Mine is a Xantrex 1800 (modified sine wave) hardwired into my AC system with a cutoff switch.  Recently, I started getting the "E05" error message.  I researched this on our web site as well as other sites, and I am in the process of trying to diagnose the problem which will include disconnecting the battery from the inverter this weekend to see if it will reset.  However, one of the issues I came across in my attempt to isolate the problem that is not addressed on the sites I searched, is that the GFCI outlet that is located in the inverter itself is wired correctly, but will not trip - probaby a worn out receptacle. After I discovered this, I tested the two other GFCI receptacles in my AC circuit - one above the nav station and the other in the galley area, and they both tested OK as far as wiring, but failed to trip. Should I replace all three receptacles, or just start with replacing the one located in the inverter itself?  I would appreciate any and all thoughts on any and all of the above referenced situations.

Thanks!

Mark and Karen Gadson
St Michaels, MD
1995 Catalina 36 Mk II (Hull 1458) - Tall Rig; Wing Keel; M35
​Home Port:  St Michaels, MD
Boat Name: Magnolia

William Matley's picture
William Matley

Mark,

How are your batteries?  Fully charged?

Error E-05  DC Input Under Voltage Alarm System is still operating but input voltage has dropped too close to the shutdown limit (11.0 to 10.5 Vdc). Alarm will beep once every two seconds until the warning condition is removed

Bill Matley
Duncan Bay Boat Club
Cheboygan, Michigan
Lakes Huron, Michigan,
Canadian North Channel
"Spirit of Aloha" Hull #1252

Mark Gadson's picture
Mark Gadson

Thanks for your thought. The batteries are fully charged.  The other thing I did was check for a short circuit and overload, which I did not find.

Mark and Karen Gadson
St Michaels, MD

LeslieTroyer's picture
LeslieTroyer

If GFCI outlets don’t trip whe the test button is pushed AND you have power at the receptacle you should replace the outlet.  

Les

Les & Trish Troyer
Mahalo 
Everett, WA
1983 C-36 Hull #0094
C-36 MK 1 Technical Editor. 

Commodore

Mark Gadson's picture
Mark Gadson

Thanks, Leslie. Would you suggest that I start by just replaceing the outlet in the inverter, or should I assume that all three are bad and replace them?

Mark and Karen Gadson
St Michaels, MD

LeslieTroyer's picture
LeslieTroyer

First it is unusual for them all to go out at the same time.  Two questions I would have are 1) are you pressing the Test button on the outlet? Or using a tester external to the outlet.  2) do you have the same behavior when using shore power and not the inverter

external testers will fail to trip gfci’s if you have a bad ground, but the test button should still trip regardless of ground.  

There should only only be one gfci on each 110 circuit breaker circuit in your panel (exclusive of the main). 

Grounds should not be connect to Neutral except at power source (inside dock circuit panel, generator or inverter). When not producing power the ground/neutral connection from a power source must be isolated from the boat wiring.  This is one of the big big differences between house 110 and boat 110.  

Les & Trish Troyer
Mahalo 
Everett, WA
1983 C-36 Hull #0094
C-36 MK 1 Technical Editor. 

Commodore