Water heater: S600 or S700?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Channel Islander's picture
Channel Islander
Water heater: S600 or S700?

Hi friends,

I have read in the C36 owners' encyclopaedia that the MkI takes the Seaward S600 or S700 water heater. Is that a choice, or is the appropriate model determined by boat model year or something else?

A local chandlery is offering me a good deal on a new S700 but I don't have the old one out yet to see what model it is.

Thanks for any hints,

- nick

Nick Tonkin
*Former* Website Administrator, C36/375IA
*Former* owner, C36 tr/fk #255, Santa Barbara, CA

GaryB's picture
GaryB

Nick,
Here is a link for Seaward Products [url]http://www.seawardproducts.com/waterhtr.htm[/url]
600 and 700 are exactly the same except 600 is galvanized steel vs. SS. Go for the 700 as it will more than likely last longer. Older catalinas came with galvanized water heaters. Both are 6 gal.

Gary Bain
S/V "Gone With The Wind"
Catalina 36', Hull #: 1056, Year: 1990, Engine: M-35
Standard Rig
Moored: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Home: Auburn, Maine

Channel Islander

Thanks for that Gary. The unit the local guys have available is the SS version. Now to see whether their "special pricing" is attractive.

Another question, how are these heaters powered? There's no simple description on the Seaward site. It looks to me that they have 120v power as well as a heat exchanger from the engine; is that correct? So they would use shore power first if available, then engine heat when running? Once you are out sailing or at anchor there's no more power source unless you have an AC generator or inverter? Approximately how long would it take the engine to heat up the 6 gallon capacity?

Thank you!

- nick

Nick Tonkin

stu jackson c34's picture
stu jackson c34

Abouit 45 minutes to an hour at cruising speed. Idling the engine will not provide hot water in any reasonable time.

Unless you can get the 700 for the same price as the 600, the SS unit is simply not worth extra $$. I have a galvanized model on our boat, doin' fine after more than 15 years.

Stu Jackson, C34IA Secretary, C34 #224, 1986, SR/FK, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#)

Channel Islander

[QUOTE=stu jackson c34;10828]
Unless you can get the 700 for the same price as the 600, the SS unit is simply not worth extra $$. I have a galvanized model on our boat, doin' fine after more than 15 years.[/QUOTE]

Now that's some advice I can take to the bank!

Thanks Stu!

Nick Tonkin

dejavu's picture
dejavu

FWIW, there is an excellent article in the Tech section on replacing the water heater.

Mike

Deja Vu
1991 MK I # 1106
Marina del Rey, CA

Channel Islander

Yep, have read it. Was wondering about the models.

I have read on this forum that one should replace Atwood with Atwood and Seaward with Seaward (I believe because of the positioning of hoses etc.), but I've also seen that the Encyclopaedia only lists Seaward; was that the only OEM on all Mk Is?

Close inspection and rust scraping (and the awesome 'Magnify' app on my phone) have revealed that the existing junk heater I have is Atwood, while the bargain-priced SS model available to me is Seaward. D'oh. If anybody might want to get it let me know and I can facilitate.

Thanks,

nick

Nick Tonkin

GaryB's picture
GaryB

[url]http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/waterheaters/MPD%2093757%20PS%2011.1...
Link to Atwood manual. Quick look it appears they may be very similar if not the same. More than likely one is private labeled to the other.
Comment: Stu is right if you can get the 700 for the same price that is a good deal. I will add though that the catalina 30 I had as well as this one the galvanized ones will corrode, if you have any seawater around them at all. The Cat 30 had seawater splashing around becasuse the shaft was at the mid section of the boat and the coupling would sling water whenever it had the oportunity, The Cat 36 the coupling is more aft, so it does not affect the heater.
Long story short I replaced the heater with the SS model and it has been about 5 years no corrision or blistered paint. I believe I got the 700 hundred for just a couple of $$ more than the 600 model.
Heats water within the hour if underway...will warm it up if run for a short while after it has been heated up once. Other than that you wiould need shorepower. Once you work out your system approach for the HW they work fine for not being hooked up at the dock. Between both boats I have been doing this for the past 26 years! No complaints!

Gary Bain
S/V "Gone With The Wind"
Catalina 36', Hull #: 1056, Year: 1990, Engine: M-35
Standard Rig
Moored: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Home: Auburn, Maine