replacing fresh water heater on a 1990 C-36

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
pete@delaunay.com's picture
pete@delaunay.com
replacing fresh water heater on a 1990 C-36

Anyone have the pleasure of replacing their fresh water heater on a 1990 vintage C-36?  ​I've sourced one at CATALINA DIRECT - Water Heater Seaward 6 Gal Galv CONNECTIONS FRONT.docx Suggestions are welcome.... thanks.... 

Include file in display

Catboat Willy's picture
Catboat Willy

Pete;
I've replaced mine on hull #1041, a 1990 model. The water heater that is a direct replacement is an  Atwood S-600 aka a Seaward. There are several 6 gallon models available and price depends on what material is used on the outside of the unit. Stainless is more expensive than painted steel. etc. I think I bought mine at Defender. It's not a big job but it's made easier if you remove the draws under the sink. It's a good opportunity to replace the hoses, if needed. 
Bill

Bill Dolan 1990 Catalina C-36 MKI - Hull #1041  'Williwaw'
Std. Rig, Walk Through, Wing Keel
M35, Oberdorfer Conversion,
Home Waters; Charlotte  Harbor & The Gulf Islands of Florida
'You are never out of work if you own a boat'

Haro's picture
Haro

Bill, I replaced mine 2 1/2 years ago. Recently I noticed rotten egg smell when hot water was used. The advice was to replace the anode. But, according to the manufacturer there is no anode in this water heater.  You can install one by removing the drain valve and installing the $28.00 magnesium anode. This means that you will not be able to drain the water heater without dealing with flood in your bilge. Have you experienced the rotten egg smell? What have others done who had to deal with this problem? The manufacturer said anode was not required.  I am thinking that this water heater is not marine grade.
What are your thoughts. 

dlincoln3's picture
dlincoln3

I replaced mine with a Kuuma 6-gal from Defender.  Nearly identical to the Seaward.

Don Lincoln
"Nancy Lynn"
1993 Catalina MK1.5, Hull 1238
LaSalle, MI (Lake Erie)
Universal M-35AC

Haro's picture
Haro

Pete, visit the link on my signature, and read the content and view images 8n the related album.
http://mei1970.org/saillavie/
Haro.