Adding bow cleats - 1988 C36

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
raptor
Adding bow cleats - 1988 C36

I have a C36 1988 and it has a single cleat in the bow. I have been backing that up with a line going to a mid-ship cleat but have decided to put 2 new cleats on the bow (with chocks).

Has anyone else done this? It sounds like most of the C36s have 2 bow cleats (like most boats I have seen). Any advice appreciated!

Aaron
Guilford, CT
1988 Catalina 36 "Raptor"

TomSoko's picture
TomSoko

Raptor,
(Sorry, you haven't filled out your "signature", so I can't address you properly by your first name).  Many owners of MkI boats have added additional bow cleats (including me).  The majority of them have installed them outboard on each side, WITHOUT chocks.  Outboard cleats offer a fair lead in most directions, without the chafe of chocks.  A number of years ago Catalina was praised by a well-known reviewer for placing their cleats outboard for just that reason.  You can either go with a four-bolt or two-bolt design, but make sure you install sturdy backing plates with them.  Hope this helps. 

Tom Sokoloski
C36/375IA Past Commodore
Noank, CT

raptor

Thanks Tom, this is very helpful!

Aaron

Aaron
Guilford, CT

llunved

[quote=raptor]

I have a C36 1988 and it has a single cleat in the bow. I have been backing that up with a line going to a mid-ship cleat but have decided to put 2 new cleats on the bow (with chocks).

Has anyone else done this? It sounds like most of the C36s have 2 bow cleats (like most boats I have seen). Any advice appreciated!

[/quote]

I just did it this spring to our 1988 C36 Swept Away.

I got Schaeffer 10-inch 2-stud cleats because there is not enough room for cleats with 4 bolts. I backed it up with epoxied-in strips of 3/8 G10 cut to the width of the deck around the anchor locker. They go back beyond the end of the anchor locker under the raised rubrail.  Call me paranoid but I didn't trust the narrow part of the deck around the locker. It was pretty straight forward and took me three afternoons including reaming out the core around the holes and filling with epoxy, etc.

Got all parts at Defender.

I'll add some pictures when I get to it.

Regards,

Daniel

1988 Catalina 36 MK I - Swept Away

raptor

Not sure exactly where you have put them. The guy at the boatyard got 4 bolt cleats and is planning to put them either side of the locker.  I know what you mean about trusting that narrow part of the deck, but I am slightly less paranoid and decided that unless there is a wholesale structural failure I should be OK.

Did you install chocks as well?  The big advantage of putting them alongside the locker is the ropes will go right from the cleat over the edge (which is not raised at that point) which reduces potential friction from a chock that would have to redirect the rope.

But I'll ask the guy about it and take some pics and post when it's done.

Thanks very much for your feedback!

Aaron

Aaron
Guilford, CT

benethridge's picture
benethridge

[quote]I got Schaeffer 10-inch 2-stud cleats because there is not enough room for cleats with 4 bolts. [/quote]

I'm googling and looking on Defender and Jamestown Distributors websites, and I don't think Schaeffer makes these in 10-inch anymore.  8-inch is the largest they show now. 

Ben Ethridge
Miami, FL
1984 MK1 Hull# 263

down_shift

I'll be installing a pair of Suncor Herrescoff 8-inch cleats this weekend.  Same setup MainSail posted on the Rocna anchor thread a few weeks ago.

Russell Green
S/V "GoodwiII"  #759
1987 C36 MKI TR/WK M25XP
Moored: Deale, MD

raptor

Russell thanks for the reference to that post from 5/29. I am not sure how to link to it here so I will just post the url for anyone who finds this thread later:

https://www.catalina36.org/comment/57567#comment-57567

This is exactly what I was looking for and it looks like I will end up with the same setup.  Very helpful! Thanks again!

Aaron

Aaron
Guilford, CT

down_shift

Aaron, after looking at the install more closely, I returned the Herrescoff cleats for the 2-bolt Schaefer 8" cleats for the same reasons suggested above (and I like the lines of the Schaefer better).  For a backing plate, Amazon has 1/4" x 1" x 12" SS316 bar stock for ~$8 shipped and when cut in half, is enough for both sides.  Pictured are 5/16" x 3" long screws which are 1/4" too short to engage the ESNA nuts.

Russell Green
S/V "GoodwiII"  #759
1987 C36 MKI TR/WK M25XP
Moored: Deale, MD

Attachments
TomSoko's picture
TomSoko

Russell,
Looks NICE!

Tom Sokoloski
C36/375IA Past Commodore
Noank, CT