Raymarine wheel pilot ST4000+ MK II

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
deising's picture
deising
Raymarine wheel pilot ST4000+ MK II

I have tried searching this forum, my Tech Notes CD, and the Internet (including Raymarine's site) and have not been able to find a manual for a Raymarine ST4000+ MK II wheel pilot.

What is frustrating is that there is a major difference from the other ST4000 pilots and I almost broke the thing following the wrong directions for disassembly.

My email request to Raymarine has gone unanswered for 2 days. I work days and can't be on the phone waiting for tech support.

Anyone have the correct manual that will help me disassemble the unit to inspect/replace the drive belt?

Thanks!

Duane Ising - Past Commodore (2011-2012)
s/v Diva Di
1999 Catalina 36 Hull #1777
Std rig; wing keel, M35B, Delta (45#)
Punta Gorda, FL
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/diva-di/

GaryB's picture
GaryB

Try this and if it does not work I have saved it as a pdf and will email to you
Gary
[url]https://flir.box.com/s/nwf2s5ha9xrltggghogu/1/720705051[/url]

Gary Bain
S/V "Gone With The Wind"
Catalina 36', Hull #: 1056, Year: 1990, Engine: M-35
Standard Rig
Moored: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Home: Auburn, Maine

deising's picture
deising

Thanks, Gary. I had actually found that particular manual on the Raymarine site, but it really doesn't address disassembly except to say that if you buy a replacement belt from them, the instructions are included.

I have not tried removing the device from the wheel, just in case that leads to some not-so-obvious solution.

Again, thanks!

s/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL

plaineolde's picture
plaineolde

Duane. Do you have the older style black wheel unit? I don't have the manual here at home, and I don't think it contains those instructions anyway. I had to replace the belt on a black drive. As I recall, the belt kit came with a plastic tool to separate, the front and back rings. Picture a piece of 3/4" aluminum bent to a 90 degree angle at the end. You put it between the 2 rings and pry them apart. There are several wheels (5?) that are attached to the stationary ring, and ride in a shallow groove in the rotating ring (which attaches to the wheel). Once apart, the drive belt is visible and can be replaced fairly easily.

This is from memory of doing it at least 5 years ago before I replaced the 4000 with an S1 with the grey drive. Same procedure for on the grey drive I believe.

Gary and Cathy Price
1997 C36 Mk II Tall Rig/Wing Keel Imagine...
Hull # 1617
Worton Creek, Md.
Northern Chesapeake Bay

deising's picture
deising

Thanks, Gary P.

I have the Mk II unit which is gray. I have taken apart the older black model with the roller wheels, but I have come across discussions on websites stating that the gray model internals are totally different and those instructions do NOT apply.

BTW, I considered installing a below-decks autopilot because we all know these wheel pilots are NOT designed for boats as heavy as ours when in any kind of seas. I read Larry Brandt's well-documented installation write-up but I doubt I could fit inside the boat to do the work, and I am loathe to pay someone to do it.

My first step is to see how well I can get this wheel pilot working before I make a firm decision.

s/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL

plaineolde's picture
plaineolde

I actually was just about to edit my post from last night; the grey drive is indeed different..!!! The front ring (the one that attaches to the wheel) snaps onto an internal ring that stays on the stationary ring. You remove it by grabbing the front ring evenly along one edge and prying it off. I seem to recall doing it without tools. It does flex quite a bit in the process. I didn't have to replace the belt yet, but I remember having to disassemble it a couple times when I first installed it. Again, this was 5 or more years ago, so my feeble memory may be suspect.

I too intend to install a below decks pilot, and can't fit into the lazarette to do it. So I guess I'll have to pay to get it done, something I hate to do. My marina operator works with a couple independent contractors, one of which installed my diesel heater and did a good job, so I'd start with him, then contact the dealer, who also has a good service department and would be very familiar with the boat.

Gary and Cathy Price
Hull # 1617
Worton Creek, Md.
Northern Chesapeake Bay

LCBrandt's picture
LCBrandt

Parts of the job that requires entry to the lazarette are (a) installing linear actuator, (b) drilling rudder post and installing tiller arm, (c) routing wiring. Maybe you can pay for these items only and save money while maintaining control over the installation.

Larry Brandt
S/V High Flight #2109
Pacific Northwest, PDX-based
2002 C-36 mkII SR/FK M35B

chs1517's picture
chs1517

Duane,

The belt on my MKII broke a couple of months ago. It took me about 5 minutes to take the unit apart. Then another 10 minutes to reinstall the new belt and put it back together. Another 5 minutes to mount the unit back on the wheel and I was ready to sea trial. The process did not involve any special tools. Just in case I took photos of the process to make sure I reinstalled everything correctly. (unfortunately I deleted the photos a couple of weeks ago.)

I ordered an extra belt to keep on board as a spare. After the belt broke I did not realize how much I used the autohelm... Imagine having to steer manually by hand the whole time you are out sailing.

Note: Make sure you order the yellow belt. The older MKI belt will not fit on the MKII unit. There is also an info/installation manual that comes with the belt.

Chris Stewart
S/V "24~7"
1984 Catalina 36 Tall
Hull #251 M25
(SF Bay) Alameda, CA

GaryB's picture
GaryB

Duane,
Look at the top file in the list ST4000 back end of manual has info, not sure if it is what you want.
Gary
[url]https://flir.box.com/s/nwf2s5ha9xrltggghogu/1/720705051[/url]

Gary Bain
S/V "Gone With The Wind"
Catalina 36', Hull #: 1056, Year: 1990, Engine: M-35
Standard Rig
Moored: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Home: Auburn, Maine

deising's picture
deising

Thanks, again, Gary B, but I could not find any reference to disassembly for my MK II unit. I will try to pry the cover off by hand and hope it works. I am really tired of messing with this.

s/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL

Wavelength's picture
Wavelength

This will get the cover off I think?

We recommend that you complete the following steps each season to
prevent the build-up of salt on the wheel drive bearings and drive belt:
1. Remove the wheel drive from the wheel:
• remove the wheel from the pedestal
• remove the spoke clamp screws
• remove the wheel drive front cover
2. Check inside the drive unit for any signs of damage.
3. Thoroughly flush the wheel drive interior with fresh water to
remove any salt build-up on the bearings and drive belt.
Do not lubricate any part of the wheel drive. It is designed to
run without lubrication.
4. Replace the front cover then fit wheel drive back onto the wheel.
5. Fit the wheel and wheel drive back onto the pedestal.
6. Clean the wheel drive case (using mild detergent if necessary),
then flush thoroughly with fresh water.

Ross & Joanne
Wavelength
Saint John NB
RKYC
C36 #658 TR 1987

plaineolde's picture
plaineolde

[QUOTE=LCBrandt;16923]Parts of the job that requires entry to the lazarette are (a) installing linear actuator, (b) drilling rudder post and installing tiller arm, (c) routing wiring. Maybe you can pay for these items only and save money while maintaining control over the installation.[/QUOTE]

Larry, that's what I plan to do when/if I get this done. I still need to try your suggestion of removing the trim around the lazarette access door and see if I can fit in.

Gary and Cathy Price
Hull # 1617
Worton Creek, Md.
Northern Chesapeake Bay

deising's picture
deising

Thanks, Ross. I had figured that just maybe removing the unit from the wheel might lend a clue and that is what I will try when I can. I will be sure to report the results and any tips for others.

s/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL

deising's picture
deising

OK, all it takes to easily dissassemble this model of the wheel pilot is taking the unit OFF the steering wheel since the machine screws holding the spoke clamps also secure the two halves of the wheel pilot. The previous model did not require that step, so it was not obvious.

What I found was the reinforcing cords on the belt has started to come out and were shredding into wads of fiber. It explains why I could not get sufficient friction with the belt tensioner and why even with the tensioner loose, the wheel was not free to turn normally.

Next, I need get the right belt replacement and I should be OK.

s/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL

LCBrandt's picture
LCBrandt

Taking the wood frame off the access hole to the lazarette is easy to do...just four screws. But the real trick that makes this access hole useful once the frame is removed is to split a piece of PVC (or maybe even a piece of white plastic sewage hose??) and slide it over the bottom edge of the opening. You will not be able to put your body weight on the sharp edge if you skip this trick.

Larry Brandt
S/V High Flight #2109

plaineolde's picture
plaineolde

Larry. Since you've had your trim off, you may be able to answer this.

Do you think that the opening could be expanded a little, like maybe 1/2" to an 1" on each side? That might make all the difference. I need to be able to get better access to finish installing the rudder sensor according to your procedure; great idea that one..! I figure that I'd continue to use that even if I eventually switch to a below decks pilot.

Gary and Cathy Price
Hull # 1617
Worton Creek, Md.
Northern Chesapeake Bay

LCBrandt's picture
LCBrandt

Gary, I had my head through that hole just three days ago as I was implementing a New Idea that I'm going to write up for C36IA: a sight gauge for the translucent fuel tank on the Mk II.

As to enlarging the size of the hole??? No, I don't think that any appreciable additional width can be gained, at least if the hole remains rectangular. The limits horizontally are Inboard: the cover over the steering gear; and Outboard: the angular shape of the interior liner at that point. Have you had the frame off? The hole is considerably larger than it seems once the frame is removed.

Larry Brandt
S/V High Flight #2109

LCBrandt's picture
LCBrandt

And Gary, I wonder if by turning the steering to a full left rudder stop you might be able to access the quadrant from the aft cabin, avoiding the lazarette entirely, for the two small holes you need to drill for the rudder position sensor arm attach point?

Larry Brandt
S/V High Flight #2109

deising's picture
deising

Follow-up to my autopilot belt replacement:

The old belt had started shedding its cords, and with the new belt in place and tensioned, the autopilot is working pretty well again. It is still undersized for the weight of the boat, but having it work as intended makes a world of difference!

s/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL