Raymarine EV-100 Autopilot System Installation

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
capestarr
Raymarine EV-100 Autopilot System Installation

I am installing a wheel-drive EV-100 autopilot on my 1985 C36, Hull number 397.

I would like to know where owners have installed the EV-1 sensor and the Actuator Control Unit (ACU-100) components for this sytem.

The EV-100 I bought is replacing the ST4000.

Thanks

dlincoln3's picture
dlincoln3

On mine, the EV-1 is in the hanging locker in the aft cabin, and the ACU-100 is mounted in the wiring compartment behind the breaker panel at the nav station.  1993 mk1.5 #1238.

Don Lincoln
"Nancy Lynn"
1993 Catalina MK1.5, Hull 1238
LaSalle, MI (Lake Erie)
Universal M-35AC

Sojourn's picture
Sojourn

Hi John,
I place the EV-1 sensor on the Aft bulkhead, next to the hanging locker.  As we use the hanging locker, I thought it might get in the way or be damaged.  The ACU-100 is mounted on the outside of the hanging locker.  There is one cable going to the EV-1 and the remanider are in the hanging lock as they are covered with a plastic box.  

Hope this helps.

Lou Bruska
Sojourn
C36 MK1 Hull $495

Lou Bruska
Sojourn
1985 C-36 Mk-I TR #495
Eldean Shipyard
Lake Macatawa (Holland, MI) Lake Michigan
Rallyback@comcast.net

capestarr

Thank you both for the input. It is very helpful

Sojourn's picture
Sojourn

Hi John, I was at the boat today.

Attached are photos

Lou Bruska
Sojourn
1985 C-36 Mk-I TR #495
Eldean Shipyard
Rallyback@comcast.net

Attachments
capestarr

Thanks for the great pictures!
A few questions:​

• What is the black rectangular box in the aft locker (e.g. is this a bus bar type device)? 
  • It looks like there is a red and black wire going to the black rectangular box. Did you run the red and black from one circuit breaker on the DC electrical panel to the black rectangular box and then power the ACU and Seatalkng from the black rectangular box?
  • What size wires (e.g. 12 gage) did you use on the red and black wires from the DC electrical panel to the aft locker?

Thanks for your assistance!

Sojourn's picture
Sojourn

I'll answer your questions in bold below.

• What is the black rectangular box in the aft locker (e.g. is this a bus bar type device)? It is the cover for a 4 place terminal strip.  The input wires red & black each have a jumper to two mating output terminals. Hence two wires in and four wires out
  • It looks like there is a red and black wire going to the black rectangular box. Did you run the red and black from one circuit breaker on the DC electrical panel to the black rectangular box and then power the ACU and Seatalkng from the black rectangular box?  Yes, however, the output wires in Yelow are connected to fuse holders each with the specified values per the manual.  These fuses are of different vlaues.  The main circuit breaker (Actually in the old setup like I have, is a toggle switch and fuse.) is the on/off, the lower valued fues are the real safeties. 
  • What size wires (e.g. 12 gage) did you use on the red and black wires from the DC electrical panel to the aft 
  • slocker?  Sorry, I don't actually know, probably 14 or 16 guage.  

Hope that helps.

Lou Bruska
Sojourn
C-36 Mk I, Hull 495

Lou Bruska
Sojourn
1985 C-36 Mk-I TR #495
Eldean Shipyard
Rallyback@comcast.net

capestarr

This is excellent information!
Thank you!
John O
Mk1 #397

2sailaway's picture
2sailaway

You will love the wheel drive, it is so nice to let the electronic take over and (keeping an eye up front) watch the world go by. I installed ours on the bulkhead behind the chart table in the back bearth. The compas was installed where the track for the folding divider used to be directly next to the companionway stairs. Its tucked out of the way but centered in the boat as was instructd in the install instructions. we did a whole system upgrade this season..what a difference!

Larry

Larry Robcke
MKl Tech Editor S/V  L' Amante #319, 1984 C36
Sailing Long Island sound and the Hudson River

KHughes

I also have an 1985 36, hull # 485.

I placed the sensor as low as practicle below  and to the right of the galley sinks. I located it there as the instructions stated as low as possible and as close to centreline of the boat. I removed the center drawer but maintained the drawer face to allow to maintain astetics. I have not detected any issues regarding the sensors reaction to the metal sinks or diesel tanks.

Cheers
Kevin

1985 36 M1 # 485
Bronte Outer Harbour 
Ont Canada

Attachments