Maretron TLM100 ultrasonic fuel level sensor installation.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
True Wind
Maretron TLM100 ultrasonic fuel level sensor installation.

I am going add a Maretron TLM100 untrasonic fuel level sensor that includes the addition of a focus tube. I have installed the TLM100 on all three fresh water tanks and on my holding tank. The sensors are accurate. But to get them accurate you need to go through a calibration process with the Maretron N2K Analyzer software (it's free). But it's not for the faint of heart. You can view some of the tank data on the newer Multi Function Displays (MFD). I use a Maretron DSM250 to display all my NMEA2000 data. 

If there is enough interest in this upgrade, I will document it. Let me know.
David

2003 Catalina 36

JAS's picture
JAS

I'd be interested. My fuel gauge has been busted since I bought my boat. I can tell the p.o. installed a new one just before I bought the boat, but they apparently never got it to work. Is the job doable by a technical novice?

Joel Schwartz
s/v Get-A-Grip
1993 Catalina 36 Hull #1259
Newport Beach, California

Haro's picture
Haro

My fuel sender unit - with swinging arm became intermittent. I replaced it with Z3529
From Catalina direct.
http://catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/3256/fuel-tank-sending-unit-12-stainless--c-34-c-36-25-gal-tank.cfm
At first I was not sure if it would track the correct amount of fuel in the thank as the fuel tank is trapezoidal. Before installing it I made resistance measurement while moving the float ring up one inch at a time. I discovered that it was not linear output and it reflects the shape of the fuel tank.I have installed it and have never had a problem with it. I am including it image and related PDF files to help.

Attachments
AttachmentSize
PDF icon Testing procedure140.57 KB
Haro's picture
Haro

My fuel sender unit - with swinging arm became intermittent. I replaced it with Z3529
From Catalina direct.
http://catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/3256/fuel-tank-sending-unit-12-stainless--c-34-c-36-25-gal-tank.cfm
At first I was not sure if it would track the correct amount of fuel in the thank as the fuel tank is trapezoidal. Before installing it I made resistance measurement while moving the float ring up one inch at a time. I discovered that it was not linear output and it reflects the shape of the fuel tank.I have installed it and have never had a problem with it. I am including it image and related PDF files to help.

JAS's picture
JAS

Were you able to use the same fuel gauge with your new sender unit?

Joel Schwartz
s/v Get-A-Grip
1993 Catalina 36 Hull #1259
Newport Beach, California

caprice 1050

About a year ago My fuel tak had a very slow leak at a weld on the bottom. I purchased a new tank from Catalina Yatchts here in Florida. It came with this type of fuel gauge float as the one pictured above. It works with the same accuracy as the old gauge. When my gauge reads 1/2 it is only about a 1/4 full. As long as I am aware of it I can live with it.

__/)__/)__/)__Capt Mike__/)__/)__/)__
Punta Gorda Florida
1990 Std WK M35 Hull #1050

LeslieTroyer's picture
LeslieTroyer

The TLM100 can't see the last two inches of tank height - seems like giving up 20% accuracy - this might be especially important on the black water tank.    Also according to the doc's you would need the DSM250 or  a NMEA gateway to PC so you can run their PC software to calibrate the things -  $1000 for the DSM and 220 for each sensor is pricey. 

Les & Trish Troyer
Mahalo 
Everett, WA
1983 C-36 Hull #0094
C-36 MK 1 Technical Editor. 

Commodore

True Wind

FYI

I install marine electronics for a living. You can see the last two inches of the tank with the TLM100 if you add the dead band focus tube. You do not need a DSM250 if you have a fairly new MFD. Almost all marine electronic manufactures that have NMEA 2000 compatable displays will have a page to display fuel tank data. You will need a USB100 gateway, a windows computer. The Maretron software is free to calibrate the tank. I don't pay any way near $220.00 for the sensor and I've seen pricing online for anybody to purchase in the $170.00 range.

For those of us that have a trapezoid fuel tank, there is no sender that is going to give you accurate fuel tank data. I replaced my sender with a straight shaft VDO reed switch just like CD sells and I replaced my fuel gauge too. The same problems followed the new sender/gauge. The float on the senders whether you have the straight reed sensor or arm type sensor do not accurately tell you when the tank really full. It's even worse when you get toward empty. Both my old sensor/gauge and new sensor/gauge read empty. I took out my fuel tank to clean it and make putting in the new Maretron TLM100 easier. There was 3 gallons left in my tank.

When I cleaned my tank I saw an interesting thing about the tank fuel line that goes to the fuel filter. It lays flat on the bottom of the inside of the tank. I would have thought there would be a space between the feed tube and the bottom of the tank. I found tin foil in my the bottom of the tank and a lock washer. I bought the boat brand new and I assure you I didn't stick those items in there.

2003 Catalina 36

knotdoneyet

I'd be very interested in the Maretron setup.  Not a real fan of the strips.

2000 C36 MKII 1825

True Wind

I re-installed my cleaned fuel tank. I also installed the TLM100 ultrasonic sensor and commenced to calibrate the sensor. Specs says it's a 25 gallon tank. So, I took 5 five gallon containers of diesel fuel. Much to my surprise I had to go back and get two more gallons. Seems it can easily hold 27 gallons. Sensor works great and it's good to get accurate fuel level finally.

2003 Catalina 36

ludo's picture
ludo

I am interested in the write up for the calibration of the TLM 100. I bought it few months ago, but just got the gateway to calibrate it with N2Kanalyzer this week. Trying to perform it right now on my aft fresh water tank.

Ludovic François
​Hotel Catalina - Catalina 36 Hull #883
Marina Del Rey, CA