ISO 12217-2 Category?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Backwater's picture
Backwater
ISO 12217-2 Category?

Any one know how I can prove my Catalina 36MkII meets ISO 12217-2 category B? Need it for an offshore race. I expected to find something on the hull number plate but no. Nothing in the owners manual either.
Thanks,
Craig

Siler Starum's picture
Siler Starum

The ISO 12217-2 is related to the stability / buoyance assessment and categorization for sailing vessels with a length between 6-24 mtr (12217-1 is for non sailing vessels and 12217-3 is for boats <6mtr). 
In the remarks on this ISO you can read that "design categories A, B, C, and D defined in this standard correspond to design categories A, B, C and D of Directive 2013/53/EU (and here you can find correspondence for earlier directives / links to other directives to make it better understandable for non-professionals and which is reason that on the CE declaration also other related directives are indicated) 
The Catalina-36 is designed conform category- A -requirements, this you can on the nameplate and also on your "statement of conformity" which should be in the documentation / manual.

Durk Nijdam
S/V "SILER"
Catalina 36MKII - 2001 / hullnr. 2013
Stavoren - Holland

Attachments