Engine Stop Cable for a 1995 MKII

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
dwarburton
Engine Stop Cable for a 1995 MKII

Has anyone ever replaced the engine stop cable on a 1995 MKII?
If so, would you know how long it is, or have a P/N?

Thanks

Dave

Dave
Ballena 1995 Mk II #1445

dwarburton

I measured it today. It is just over 13 ft. long.

If you need to replace it, Catalina Direct sells a 15 ft. stop cable.

I tell folks how the installation goes. Should be lots of fun.

Dave
Ballena 1995 Mk II #1445

Ciscocat's picture
Ciscocat

before you order the cable from catalina direct i would make sure the the cable that you have is what you need for a replacement. I ordered one from them and 1 and 1/2 years later i got around to trying to replacing it and found that what i had on my engine was morse control fitting and the cable that sold was nothing like that. i don't know what is on the engine you have but on mine (1984) there was no way that i could make it work. lesson learned.:

Mike Hogan
s/v Ciscocat #226
Mark I XP25, std rig

dwarburton

I replaced the engine stop cable on my 1995 MkII with the help of my daughter a few weeks back. It is definitely a two person job, needing both a pusher and a puller. The Catalina Direct cable was a good fit. I used a 1/4 plastic tube as a messenger. The only issue was that the cable sheath was too small to fit the engine clamp. I was able to shim it, however. One piece of advice is that the cable sheath is quite hard and hacksaw will not cut it. Have a sharp file handy.

Dave

Dave
Ballena 1995 Mk II #1445

John Reimann's picture
John Reimann

I replaced the cable on my previous boat (a C 30). When I pulled out the old cable, I had tied a messenger line to it. All I had to do is pull the old one back through with the same line. (By the way, I discovered that the old one was completely rotted out. It would have been a very easy thing to find by the surveyor, who did a slap-dash job. Lesson learned: Even if you have a good surveyor, check as much as you can yourself.)

SF Bay
1998 C36

melvinmoose

Hello,
I replaced my panel on my 1984 and upgraded everthing and everthing works except for the tach. I also installed a new shut-off cable but whent through a hole below old panel that was for a cig lighter and used starboard to attache the handle. The stop works excellent and I only have keft is the tach to figure out.
David Tremblay LADYBUG