Autohelm st4000

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talisman
Autohelm st4000

I missed the opportunity to buy the raymarine S1 that was on sale for about $750 and I continue to be stuck with my ST4000 that still gives me troubles.

The motor has been replaced and a rudder position device installed. It worked for a while but now is giving me troubles again. The control head constantly demonstrates a course over 60 degrees off. It impacts the direction the boat icon points on my GPS/Chartplotter. It doesn't function as a autopilot since every time I connect it it searches for the course and gives up. And it refuses to calibrate itself when I go through the routine on the manual to do so.

I have been told by some that it needs a new fluxgate compass.

Has anyone had this problem that can provide some imput?

Enrique
Talisman
1998 36 MK2 Hull #1673
Tall Rig Wing Keel
M35BC engine
Old Saybrook, CT Summer
South Glastonbury, CT Winter

billta

Talisman,
When my 4000 went crazy, I too thought it might be the fluxgate. However, after speaking with Raymarine, they said the control head was the problem. They do not fix those any more. I resorted to the S-1, and have been very pleased. Plus I am using the old fluxgate, and have the new one as a reserve. Got it from Raymarine for about the price you indicated. It was a reconditioned unit with full warranty. Try Raymarine and see if they have one. If you already have the rudder sensor installed, that's 80% of the work. Break down and get a new s-1 or the newer model, M-5?? You'll be a much happier sailor.

Bill

Bill Taylor
Heel'n Good #1612
Washington, NC