1997 MK II 36 how to activate Glow Plugs

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
svrootless's picture
svrootless
1997 MK II 36 how to activate Glow Plugs

Hi everyone, We just purchased a Catalina MK II 36 with a Universal Engine last week and are trying to move her to another marina. She doesn't have a glow plug button. She has been looked at by several mechanics and a surveyor before we purchased her and she checked out perfect.... I think it could be because we are not warming up the glow plugs (we live in the PNW). I have read several forums on putting the key in #2 position, there are no numbers on the key. Do you turn the key away from you to do this or toward you? Does make a sound like a beeping? Do you see a light? 

Dana and Scotty Gillette
1997 Catalina 36 MKII
Rootless (Hull # 1624)
Tacoma, WA
Purchased in Sept 2016

LeslieTroyer's picture
LeslieTroyer

I've seen two methods of wiring up the glow plugs
1) the key first positions provides power to the alternator, low oil pressure alarm should now sound/lit, turning key further engages starter, there is a seperate toggle or push button for the glow plugs (turn key to position 1, hit glow plugs for 30 seconds, turn key to engage starter)
2) The key first position is as above - turning further turns on glow plugs, a push button engages the starter.

Les & Trish Troyer
Mahalo 
Everett, WA
1983 C-36 Hull #0094
C-36 MK 1 Technical Editor. 

Commodore

TomSoko's picture
TomSoko

svrootless,
(Sorry I couldn't address you by a name - suggest you update your "signature" with info about you and your boat). From the picture you attached, the black button on the lower right corner of the engine panel is the start button?  If so, it is what Les above describes as method #2.  When you insert the ignition key, it is most likely straight up and down.  By turning it slightly clockwise, you give power to the engine panel, the low oil pressure alarm and light should activate, and you will see voltage (gauge in the upper right corner) in the 12-13V range. By turning the key slightly more clockwise, against pressure of a spring return (what would be the "start" position on your car), the glowplugs should be activated, and the voltage will drop.  That is what is described as the #2 position.  If the voltage does not drop, the glowplugs are not working.  They draw about 7 amps each, which will show as a voltage drop on the gauge.  Hope this helps.

Tom Sokoloski
C36/375IA Past Commodore
Noank, CT

svrootless's picture
svrootless

Thank you we updated it:) 

Dana and Scotty Gillette
1997 Catalina 36 MKII
Rootless (not sure how to find the hull #)
Tacoma, WA
Purchased in Sept 2016

Dana and Scotty Gillette
1997 Catalina 36 MKII
Rootless (Hull # 1624)
Tacoma, WA
Purchased in Sept 2016

clennox's picture
clennox

My 1997 is set up like what Tom suggested. I hold the key against the spring for about 10 seconds, release key and hit black rubber button. Make sure you have the black Tee handle (fuel cutoff) down. 

Warning:
Don't crank very long with sea water though hull open. If you crank too long you can get water into the head though the exhaust. There is also a drain on your water lift.
Chuck

Chuck Lennox
97 MKii Ventura Ca
Island Girl Hull #1611

svrootless's picture
svrootless

Hi Chuck,

So we know how to heat the glow plugs (you turn the key all the way forward (away from you) for about 20 secs and release)  now but think we do need to drain the aqua lift muffler:( Do you have an answer to this? ​https://www.catalina36.org/forum/technical-discussion/aqua-lift-muffler-...

Dana and Scotty Gillette
1997 Catalina 36 MKII
Rootless (Hull # 1624)
Tacoma, WA
Purchased in Sept 2016