M35BC Just passed 3000 hours!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
knotdoneyet
M35BC Just passed 3000 hours!

Passed it on my trip to the Dry Tortugas.  2250 seems to be a good RPM for mine and judging by my fuel records, I appear to burn around .65 GPH.

There always seems to be questions about how many hours your get out of a diesel.  This one still runs great.

2000 C36 MKII 1825

LCBrandt's picture
LCBrandt

That makes two of us. Photo from a few days ago...

Larry Brandt
S/V High Flight #2109
Pacific Northwest, PDX-based
2002 C-36 mkII SR/FK M35B

Attachments
HowLin's picture
HowLin

I just broke 1000 two weeks ago...

---- Howard & Linda Matwick ----

--- S/V "Silhouette" - Nanaimo, BC ----

--- 1999  C36 MkII  #1776 M35BC ---

Catboat Willy's picture
Catboat Willy

I'm guessing that you have a three blade prop?

Bill Dolan 1990 Catalina C-36 MKI - Hull #1041  'Williwaw'
Std. Rig, Walk Through, Wing Keel
M35, Oberdorfer Conversion,
Home Waters; Charlotte  Harbor & The Gulf Islands of Florida
'You are never out of work if you own a boat'

LCBrandt's picture
LCBrandt

I have the stock two-blade, and have no interest in re-propping. 

Larry Brandt
S/V High Flight #2109
Pacific Northwest, PDX-based
2002 C-36 mkII SR/FK M35B

Catboat Willy's picture
Catboat Willy

This brings up a curious question (in my mind)  regarding tachometers and their integral clocks. In my other 'OFF ROAD' vehicle, A Cessna 206, the clock in the tachometer reads only full hourly time when the engine is operating at full RPM. If the engine is running at any thing less than full RPM, the clock in the tach. will not record full hourly time.That is to say, if you sit there at idle in the plane for four hours, the clock in your tachometer will not record four hours, rather something much, much less.
There is also a HOBBS meter in the plane  that records actual clock time; a full minute for every minute there is oil pressure.
I'll have to measure whether tach. clock in the c-36 records actual time or a percentage there of.
Does anyone know ?
We're producing 5.6 knots at 2250 RPM with a three blade prop and consuming .56 gallons per hour (average)
Bill
1990 C-36 #1041, , SR,WK,WT, M35,
Port Charlotte, FL.

Bill Dolan 1990 Catalina C-36 MKI - Hull #1041  'Williwaw'
Std. Rig, Walk Through, Wing Keel
M35, Oberdorfer Conversion,
Home Waters; Charlotte  Harbor & The Gulf Islands of Florida
'You are never out of work if you own a boat'

gforaker's picture
gforaker

Bill,
The hour meter in our boats measures time the key is on.   I almost never run at WOT and it seems to be accurate.

[quote=Catboat Willy]This brings up a curious question (in my mind)  regarding tachometers and their integral clocks. In my other 'OFF ROAD' vehicle, A Cessna 206, the clock in the tachometer reads only full hourly time when the engine is operating at full RPM. If the engine is running at any thing less than full RPM, the clock in the tach. will not record full hourly time.That is to say, if you sit there at idle in the plane for four hours, the clock in your tachometer will not record four hours, rather something much, much less.
There is also a HOBBS meter in the plane  that records actual clock time; a full minute for every minute there is oil pressure.
I'll have to measure whether tach. clock in the c-36 records actual time or a percentage there of.
Does anyone know ?
We're producing 5.6 knots at 2250 RPM with a three blade prop and consuming .56 gallons per hour (average)
Bill
1990 C-36 #1041, , SR,WK,WT, M35,
Port Charlotte, FL.
 [/quote]

Gene Foraker
Sandusky Yacht Club
Sandusky, OH
1999  C36  #1786
Gypsy Wagon

knotdoneyet

3 Blade prop and just had the hull repainted to the boat is moving very well.  I was getting around 6.5 knots on 2250 for the trip.  7.2-7.5 knots motor sailing with a light wind.  All GPS SOG.

Enjoying it while the paint is fresh.  :)

Note that I have not validated my tach so take with a grain of salt.

2000 C36 MKII 1825