Another Newbie looking for a C36 (C387?)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
SailorJackson's picture
SailorJackson
Another Newbie looking for a C36 (C387?)

Capt. Sam is not the only one. I'm looking for a later C36 (2003 to 2007) with furling main and all the other new fashion toys. I'm actually planning a C36 shopping trip in about 10 days, hoping to inspect 8 different Catalina boats that I've identified between Boston and Baltimore.

I'm also curious about the Catalina 387 as I've found one that seems like a good deal. I'm wondering if there are opinions out there about that model. I have not seen it in person, but looking over dimenisions and photos I get the feeling that, like the C350, they ended up making a boat which appears a bit boxy, with a lot of freeboard and cabin, in an attempt to pack a really big interior into a modest exterior. Is that true? Is this a common reaction?

As a side note, I've prepared a 3 page list as a means of keeping consistent notes while inspecting a whole bunch of similar boats. Just let me know if anyone would like a copy of that list added as an asset to the association web site.

G. Jackson

Greg Jackson
SV Jacqui Marie
2004 C36, MKII
tall rig, wing keel,

deising's picture
deising

First, best of luck finding your boat. I am sure you will love her.

As for the list, you can send it to me as Commodore and I will see if we can add it to our collection of helpful info.

Thanks for offering.

[email]duane.ising@comcast.net[/email]

Duane Ising - Past Commodore (2011-2012)
s/v Diva Di
1999 Catalina 36 Hull #1777
Std rig; wing keel, M35B, Delta (45#)
Punta Gorda, FL
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/diva-di/

baysailor2000's picture
baysailor2000

I spent over a year investigating what I would like the boat to do for me. It was no brainer - C36 - racer/cruiser. There is nothing better for me. I wanted for coastal cruising and club racing. First list what your boat should be able to do for you - then decide on the boat. I had looked for a new larger boat since 2007!

Haro Bayandorian, 1999 C36 MKII, Sail La Vie #1787, M35B,
Coyote Point, San Mateo, CA.