Cruising 2014

1 post / 0 new
pierview
Cruising 2014

Hello Catalina cruisers!

It’s March and time to start planning summer cruising! My wife & I sail out of Atlantic Highlands Municipal Harbor in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey.

The Atlantic Highlands town marina was the poster child for damage after Super Storm Sandy; our docks were completely destroyed and pictures of many of our boats mangled and piled up on the hard made many of the marine magazines.

As a result, during our cruise last summer we frequently met other cruisers who, upon hearing where we were from, would say “oh, is Atlantic Highlands open?”

Well, I’m pleased to report we’re completely back and better than before! We have completely new floating docks, the launch service/ mooring field is up and running, and we wanted everyone to know!

Just 4 miles from the tip of Sandy Hook and the ocean, and 8 miles south of NYC, our club, the Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club manages the mooring field for sailboats 50’and under and provides launch service. If you prefer to anchor, there is good anchorage at the east end of the breakwater; launch service on a daily basis is available from there too. We also have a great galley and bar overlooking the harbor! The harbor has fuel, a pump-out station, tennis courts and showers.

The town has a laundry, movie theater, supermarket, pharmacy, marine store, three grog shops, and restaurants for all tastes all within a 15 minute walk of the harbor. There is high-speed ferry service to NYC for cruisers who might want to see the city or a Broadway show.

If you’re transiting back north from winter cruising, or looking for a place to visit on a weekend cruise, please, stop by and visit us…. come up to the club for a drink!

Chuck Parker
HelenRita 2072 Mk II
2002 Tall Rig - Winged Keel
Atlantic Highlands, NJ