Maxwell VW 800 Windlass - Anchor won't drop after releasing clutch nut

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
sidthekid's picture
sidthekid
Maxwell VW 800 Windlass - Anchor won't drop after releasing clutch nut

Hello All,

Another windlass question. Preparing to deploy anchor for the first time, I'm doing some testing of the windlass at the dock.

Windlass works in up mode, I've got power, windlass motor enages and wraps a few feet of chain and brings the anchor up close to bow roller as expected.

But when I go to drop anchor a few feet by backing off the clutch nut with the aluminum bar, nothing happens.  I backed off the clutch nut one full turn, and tried to "unstuck" the gypsy by "carefully" stepping on the chain to add weight.I also tried manually dropping the anchor a foot or two. No downward movement.

Then, I partially followed the maintenance instructions provided by Steven Jones C36 #2164.

I was able to remove the drum but the clutch assembly did not come off easily so I retreated....

Am I missing a step to release the gypsy to deploy the anchor?

Not sure when the PO last serviced the windlass. Could the clutches or gypsy be seized due to lack of maintenance i.re corrosion?

How can I lift up the "reluctant" clutch assembly to clean and lubricate.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!

Photo is attached.

PS: the Windlass manual refers to a chain stopper but I do not see one in my setup.

Bill

Bill & Barb
s/v Northern Lights
2002 Catalina 36 MKII #2086
Rock Hall, MD
Northern Chesapeake

Channel Islander's picture
Channel Islander

[quote=sidthekid]
Could the clutches or gypsy be seized due to lack of maintenance i.re corrosion?
[/quote]
Yes, definitely. Follow the instructions in the manual and disassemble, clean, lube where instructed and reassemble.

[quote=sidthekid]
PS: the Windlass manual refers to a chain stopper but I do not see one in my setup.
 [/quote]
That's an optional extra that has evidently not been installed on your boat. Not necessary for the correct operation of the windlass.

Nick Tonkin
*Former* Website Administrator, C36/375IA
*Former* owner, C36 tr/fk #255, Santa Barbara, CA

HowLin's picture
HowLin

Do a search on the forum as this has been discussed before...

https://www.catalina36.org/forum/technical-discussion/windlass-not-allow...

---- Howard & Linda Matwick ----

--- S/V "Silhouette" - Nanaimo, BC ----

--- 1999  C36 MkII  #1776 M35BC ---

mrmac's picture
mrmac

Weigh my comments carefully because I've only taken my windlass apart once.
1)  Can't the "clutch nut" be backed off more than just one turn?
2)  At one time when the anchor rode hung up at the point where the chain and the rope connect, I had to give it a sharp downward kick to encourage the rope through the windlass. (This may be open to criticism, but I needed to get the anchor down.)
3)  If I'm understanding you, you are not able to bring the rode forward through the windlass.  This needs to be done in order to service the windlass. 
4)  Try prying the clutch assembly w/ two large, flat-head screwdrivers after lubricating the shaft with whatever you generally use - WD-40 or whatever.

Dick

Southern Comfort #1881
Tall rig, Wing Keel
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay