125 or 130 headsail ?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ZiggaZagga's picture
ZiggaZagga
125 or 130 headsail ?

Currently on this tall rig is a 150 head sail . It is too much sail most of the time . I would like to have it cut down but wonder if I should go below 130. Looking at the tracks length I wonder about sheeting angles. I have garhauher adjustable cars but the track just does not look to be long enough.
My sailmaker says that 125 would be ideal knowing my cruising area and the winds we get. Anyone with any thoughts oor experience please advise.
Thanks
Gene

Gene Regan
Zigga Zagga
C36 MKII # 1919

deising's picture
deising

I am far from an authority on sails, but I think you can mostly account for sheeting angles by going to a higher cut clew. That way, you get three advantages (IMHO):
1. smaller sail area that you desire
2. ability to use the existing tracks
3. better visibility under the sail

Duane Ising - Past Commodore (2011-2012)
s/v Diva Di
1999 Catalina 36 Hull #1777
Std rig; wing keel, M35B, Delta (45#)
Punta Gorda, FL
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/diva-di/

deising's picture
deising

Here is a related question. If there are no other factors of concern, is there a big difference in sail performance between (for example) a high-clew 135% and a low clew-120% of equal sail area?

Just curious if the aspect ratio of the sail is that critical (especially for cruisers).

s/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL

Nimue's picture
Nimue

There is a difference, but it is not aspect-ratio driven.

The low clewed sail will be more efficient upwind, with a shorter foot length, the foot closer to the deck and more parralel, and better control of leach tension through the sheet. Race boats tend to carry low clews.

The high clewed sail will be more efficient reaching and running, because it has more area up high, and the top of the sail will twist off less when the sail is eased. Race boats carry a sail called a Jib Top Reacher with a high clew like this.

Finally, you can't have a 120 and a 135 of the same area, the numbers relate to LP, not foot length, and LP doesn't care about clew height. If you move the clew up, the LP measurement stays the same and the area stays the same, you just move sail from the foot to the upper leach.

Jason V
Vancouver, BC, Canada

deising's picture
deising

Thanks, Jason. I learned a lot.

At first, it was not intuitive that the high-clew sail had equivalent area, but thinking about the geometry more, I see where you are right.

s/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL

Nimue's picture
Nimue

Once you wrap your head around it, it's simple.

It also follows that the standard 'cruising' jib with a high clew, also has correspondingly more sail area up high and will tend to make the boat heel further for a given LP size.

Nonetheless, since most cruisers spend more time reaching and running than beating (hopefully), the high clewed sail tends to be more versatile and lasts longer since the leach loads are lower. This is the first part of the sail to get damaged on a race boat.

Jason V
Vancouver, BC, Canada