3 posts / 0 new
Last post
SGVT
Offline
Joined: 11/18/19
Posts: 4
Newbie Roller Furler Question

Just purchased a 2000 Cat36mkii and have what I am sure is a dumb question.  The roller furler worked fine during the sea trial.  When we took possession of the boat, it turned out that the yard had installed a block for the furling line to the port cleat on the bow which effectively made the bow cleat unusable (but the furler worked, fairly well).

Tried moving the block to the pulpit but the line bunches around the drum and you can't unfurl the jib completely.  Tried reattaching a new block (the old block came apart when it was removed) to the cleat and the sail still won't unfurl completely.  Line is stiff but not terribly so.  I can't seem to get this positioned so that it will unfurl properly.  It crosses and bunches till it jams.

I have ordered new line--seen recommendations on coring or tapering--but suspect there is something wrong with the way I am setting it up.  Trying to get the line as close to 90 degrees as I can.

Thoughts?

sidthekid's picture
sidthekid
Offline
Joined: 6/1/16
Posts: 18

Hello SGVT, 

Still consider myself a newbie going into 5th season with Catalina 36. Like to share my experience with you, since this forum has been so helpful over those years. I defer to other opinions who have much more experience.

New genoa furling line may help to resolve your issue. I intalled new 5/16 Sta-Set line and that resolved the bunching issue you describe. My block is also on the pulpit, about half way up, to attain the 90 degree angle.

What diameter line did you purchase?

Let us know how you made out.

Regards,

WLL

Chachere's picture
Chachere
Offline
Joined: 10/27/10
Posts: 674

On our boat, the first block is attached to a clamp at the bottom of the aft-most portion of the bow pulpit (yes, you definitely would want to free up the cleat!).  I don't have a picture handy (and right now the uploading function isn't working anyway).

We used to frequently have issues with the line bunching up on the drum, and the solution for us was to remove the core from the first 25' - 30' feet of the furling line.   If you think about it, the last bit of furling is not putting that much strain on the line, so you can use an effectively weaker line for that part.   This reduces the bulk of the line being wrapped onto the furler drum.   Here's a link the describes how to do this:
www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/fitting-a-roller-furling-line
 

Log in or register to post comments