Raymarine AIS250 Installation...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
chs1517's picture
chs1517
Raymarine AIS250 Installation...

My current project is to completely redo my nav system. I am removing my Garmin Chartplotter and replacing it with a Raymarine C80 that I purchased from one of our C36 members. Along with the C80 will be the installation of an X5 Autopilot (to replace my old Autohelm), DSM30 with transducer, and an AIS250. The C80 will be installed in a NavPod with the controls for the Autohelm in a 3X NavPod above the C80 attached to the pedestal guard.

I have installed the computer boxes for the units and have the wiring alomst done. I plan on finishing the project as soon as I modify my current pedestal guard and mount the NavPods.

My question is the power and NMEA connections on the AIS? I have figured out where the wires go. My problem is figuring how to insert the wires into the power/NMEA strip on the right lower side of the box. Unlike the other units that have screw terminals the AIS has some type of a lever contraption. I have studied the terminals, pushed and pulled the levers above the strip but still cannot figure how to open up the tabs to insert the wires. I have gone back and tried to find something in the installation manual...nope, nothing there.

I am sure there is a quick and easy fix to my problem, but here goes, anyone out there had the same problem and figured it out? Let me know if you have.
I am sure there is a simple solution.

In the mean time I will do some more research and contact Raymarine tomorrow for their wisdom.

Chris

Chris Stewart
S/V "24~7"
1984 Catalina 36 Tall
Hull #251 M25
(SF Bay) Alameda, CA

LCBrandt's picture
LCBrandt

I don't know the AIS250, but if the terminal strip is similar to the one on my Raymarine autopilot it will be dead simple. With a small screwdriver simply press on the tiny 'key' next to the wire insert point, and that will loosen the grip...then gently push in the stripped wire.

Try this, and let me know if it works.

If you call Raymarine tech support in New Hampshire, you will probably get voice mail. My experience has been that they call back quite promptly.

Larry Brandt
S/V High Flight #2109
Pacific Northwest, PDX-based
2002 C-36 mkII SR/FK M35B

chs1517's picture
chs1517

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. I tried that approach and it did not seem to work. Above each insert point is a small plastic post with a small plactic square.
There is a whole row of them which include the pos/neg wires as well as the NMEA wires. I tried to poke the area where the wires are inserted as well as pushing, pulling, lifting, and pulling down on the post all with no results. I hesitate to force anything seeing the unit is expensive. Why Raymarine didn't use the simple screw method is beyond me...

Thanks again,

Chris

Chris Stewart
S/V "24~7"
1984 Catalina 36 Tall
Hull #251 M25
(SF Bay) Alameda, CA

LCBrandt's picture
LCBrandt

The answer has to be a simple one, Chris. Raymarine tech support will explain in a heartbeat. Sorry I couldn't help.

Larry Brandt
S/V High Flight #2109
Pacific Northwest, PDX-based
2002 C-36 mkII SR/FK M35B

chs1517's picture
chs1517

Called Raymarine yesterday morning and found the, Yes, simple solution. I was told Raymarine has been using the systme for some time. The trick is to use something like a small jewelers flat head screw driver and push up and back on the post. The llittle jaws below open up to accept the wire. Push up and back and then insert wire. As simle as that.

Now that I have that down back to work...case closed for now.

Chris

Chris Stewart
S/V "24~7"
1984 Catalina 36 Tall
Hull #251 M25
(SF Bay) Alameda, CA