Catalina 445

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
dwarburton
Catalina 445

We all love our 36's, but has anyone taken a look at the specs for the new Catalina 445? It looks like an interesting departure from the Hunteresqe focus on increasing interior volume that some of the more recent Catalina models have drifted towards. The beam is the about the same as the 375, for all the added length.

And I have been wondering where I was going to fit the washer/dryer on my 36. . . .

Dave
Ballena 1995 Mk II #1445

stone21's picture
stone21

Overall I like the design. Don't know if I agree with the loss of the
large port cockpit locker. It looks like it is a pass thru to the port aft berth.
Thats where I put a lot of things I don't want mixing with my living space.
(oil, cleaners, etc).

Stone

Attachments
dejavu's picture
dejavu

For YEARS I have been wishing that Catalina would build a "42" with a "36"ish interior. Now they kinda have, but I'm sure it's about half a ZILLION dollars, so I may have to stay with my baby a while longer. I will, however, continue to buy Lotto tickets.

Mike

Deja Vu
1991 MK I # 1106
Marina del Rey, CA

Steve Frost's picture
Steve Frost

The longer I own my C36 the more I believe Frank Butler hit the nail right on the head. It always makes me grin when I get a new sailing magazine with a review of some new fourtyish foot boat that cost about a quarter of a million bucks and it has the same interior layout as my 1988 C36.

The new C445 looks good to me too, its basic hull and beam to length ratio does remind me of the C42. a nice departure from the more recent Winaboato philosophy of selling boats soley based on interior volume. Once again though I look at the interior of the 445 and see the C36 interior. The salon, galley and nav look to be direct copies of the original MKI C36, though the nav area looks a bit smaller on the 445. I am currious if that folding table at the u shaped dinette of the 445 would fit in my C36.
The larger and more plentiful heads and sleeping quarters I am sure are appreciated but, the aft stateroom square footage is at the expense of shorter cockpit seating, you can no longer sleep on the cockpit seats. This is also compromised by the twin wheels, I understand the ease of access to the stern and better viewing with two wheels but, I only would use one at a time making the other one spare, I am old school, wheels like wives, one is enough, unless one is down below out of the weather (wheels that is).

I do like the overall look of the 445 but, for me it just would not offer much of an upgrade from my current boat. At 60 the likelyhood of me being a buyer for an new boat is slim and the marketing folks at Catalina may see that, I wish them well with this new model.

In the mean time, thanks again Frank for creating the boat I own, its perfection I suspect dilutes your new sales but, creates a very loyal owners group.

Cepheus dream
C36 MK I # 825
MK I Tech Editor No Mas

caprice 1050

Steve
Your quote,

"At 60 the likelyhood of me being a buyer for an new boat is slim"

made me laugh. When I was a youg guy I said eventualy I will have to get out of sailing and into a power boat because of age, but not until I am old like 40 or even 50. Well 40 is long past and so is 50, 60 and 70. When I was in my forties I bought a sailboat that I thought would be my last sailboat, then I bought two more after that, my last one being Caprice five years ago. Each boat was to be my last sailboat. Now I am 73 and still thinking about a new boat.

I saw a boat in a marina with the name "My Last Boat III"

__/)__/)__/)__Capt Mike__/)__/)__/)__
Punta Gorda Florida
1990 Std WK M35 Hull #1050

Steve Frost's picture
Steve Frost

Mike, yes I do look at other boats and I would not rule out the purchase of one but, it would most likely not be new one. Based on the recent performance of my 401K and the state of the Social Security system, my next boat would most probably require the use of an air pump prior to launching.

Cepheus dream
C36 MK I # 825
MK I Tech Editor No Mas

dejavu's picture
dejavu

[QUOTE=Steve Frost;1562]The longer I own my C36 the more I believe Frank Butler hit the nail right on the head. It always makes me grin when I get a new sailing magazine with a review of some new fourtyish foot boat that cost about a quarter of a million bucks and it has the same interior layout as my 1988 C36[/QUOTE]

No Steve, I think YOU hit the nail on the head. I do the same as you when I see the new zillion dollar boats. I look down below on my 2ND 36 and just sigh......."Perfect". And the seat at the MK I nav station is definitely the best seat in the house.

Mike

Deja Vu
1991 MK I # 1106
Marina del Rey, CA